Body odour is the common issue faced by many.It is a sensitive problem because it is embarrassing.So lets us see what causes that and how to deal with it!
What is Sweating?
Sweating is body's mechanism to regulate the body temperature,balances bodily fluids-electrolytes,hydrates the skin.Degree of sweating depends on gender,health,if on any particular medicines and environment.
What causes Body Odour?
Sweating is a normal body function that occurs after running,working out,humid weather,nervous,stress etc. Sweat is actually odourless but it creates a unpleasant smell when bacteria reacts with it on the skin.Body odour is not evident until body hits puberty.It occurs in regions like hands,legs,armpits etc.
So When it is not normal?
I have a friend whose hands were terribly sweaty and wet.It was difficult for her to even write without smudging.She constantly used to wipe her hand.This is just one such example.This condition is knows as Hyperhidrosis.
Other factors which affects sweating & odour are :
- Liver/Kidney Failure
If you notice anything out of the ordinary, it is best to seek a medical advise.
So how to counter body odour?
Simple home remedies and life style adjustments helps tackle these kind of situations.
- Maintain good body hygiene.
- Shower after exercising/working out and twice in a day if necessary.
- You can add a 2-3 spoons of Vinegar/Apple Cider Vinegar or a spoon of Baking Soda in water and take bath.This makes bacteria difficult to thrive in acidic medium.
- You can also try adding few drops aromatic oils like Tea tree oil,Lavender oil in water.
- Always use fresh clothes and wash your clothes everyday.
- Change your inner-wear everyday.
- Air your wardrobe on a regular basis.You can spritz a little perfume on the clothes too.
- Dry yourself properly with a towel after bath.
- Make it a point to wash all your gym gear,accessories like arm bands,wrist bands,face towels,socks.
- Wearing shoes for prolonged hours make feet sweat. So wash your feet and apply some powder.Also air your feet and shoes frequently in open space.This helps get rid of unpleasant smell.
- Opt for Antiperspirants rather than Deodorants.The reason behind this is Deodorants/Perfumes wont help with sweating,they only mask the body odour.On the other end,Antiperspirants contains Aluminium which temporary block sweat glands and prevent body odour.
- Sweating also depends food intake.Spicy Foods,Garlic,Onions,Caffienated drinks increase sweating.
- Wear Loose Cotton clothing than synthetic ones cause they allow skin to breathe.
- Do not forget to dry the crevices between underarms, hands,legs,skin folds etc.If necessary you can apply a little bit of talc or anti fungal powders containing Clotrimazole. Bacteria breed easily if the crevices are moist.
- Shaving under arms also reduces body odour.
- Smoking affects body odour so cutting down on it is suggested.
There are Oral medications,Botox injections,Aluminium Chloride injections,Iontophoresis,Surgeries which are worse case scenarios like Hyperhidrosis which helps with this problem but like everything they come with their own side effects.
Final Verdict:Such rigorous and scary treatments are not necessary.I feel by following above mentioned good hygiene and adjustments,this is can be managed easily.