I decided to take a break from products reviews for today.Off late one of the frequent queries I get is rashes or breakouts around mouth or jaw line.If you are one of those then this post is for you.It is often confused with acne but it is a total different skin issue known as Perioral Dermatitis.It is something I myself suffered for a long time until I figured out what exactly was causing it and rectified it.So today I will discuss about Perioral Dermatitis-causes and treatments.
What is Perioral Dermatitis?What are the symptoms?
Perioral means area surrounding the mouth.Perioral Dermatitis is rashes or inflammations or lesions around the area of mouth,jawline,eyes or nose.Symptoms also include itching,burning,dryness.It is commonly seen in menstruating women between ages 20-45.Symptoms vary based on the severity.
What causes Perioral Dermatitis?
Well there are many causes of Perioral Dermatitis:
- Using tooth pastes containing fluorides and sodium laureth sulphate(SLS).
- Topical corticosteroid medications like Clobetasol,Mometasone etc
- Certain skin care and cosmetics products.
- Hormonal fluctuations/disorders like Thyroid,Polycystic Ovarian Disorder(PCOS/PCOD) etc.
- Oral Contraceptives Pills.
- Bacterial/Fungal Infections.
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate(SLS) based skin care,hair care and oral care products.
How to treat Perioral Dermatitis?
Perioral Dermatitis is usually treated with the following methods for a minimum period of 6-12 weeks.
- Topical Antibiotics like Metronidazole(Metrogyl),Erthromycin (Erytop-A),Clindamycin(Clindac-A).
- Oral Antibiotics like Minocyline(Minoz),Tetracyline,Doxycline etc.
- Topical anti-fungal applications containing Clotrimazole,Ketaconazole etc.
- Topical applications like Retinoids,Benzoyl Peroxide,Sulphur.
- Zinc supplements.
How to cope with Perioral Dermatitis?
Perioral Dermatitis is a persistent skin infection which will need antibiotic treatment.But by making few rectifications in your routine,it can definitely make a difference.
- Following good personal hygiene.
- Wash your hands before you wash your face.It is extremely important step as you don't want to further contaminate your face with bacteria.
- Using SLS-free cleansers,hair care products.
- Using non-comedogenic skin care and make up products.
- Vaseline and certain paraffin wax based lip balms like Lotus also causes this problem.So switching light-weight and non-greasy lip balms helps.Check out:Best Lip Balms
- I was using Pepsodent tooth paste for a very long time but switching to fluoride-free toothpaste like Vicco Vajradanti made a massive difference.
- Hormonal disorders should be treated at the earliest as it opens up a whole array of skin problems.I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and taking Eltroxin definitely had a positive impact.
- Washing your towels daily with anti-septic solutions like Dettol,Savlon etc.Keep separate towels for your hair and face.
- Wash your pillow covers every alternate day.
- Using Proactiv Refining Mask which is essentially Sulphur and Kaolin mask also helped.
- If oral contraceptive pills are the culprit in your case then consult your doctor and explore other contraception methods.
- Avoid excessive scrubbing as it could aggravate the skin condition.
- Usually whitening/brightening/fairness are products containing steroids and heavy metals which again induces Perioral Dermatitis so avoid those types of products.Ponds White Beauty and Olay Natural white are two such brands.Read more about it here:How safe are your skin care and cosmetic products?
- Diet also plays a important role.I noticed that certain foods like junk and oily foods also trigger it.
My Experience & Final Words:Chin area was really problem areas.Despite best efforts,I couldn't figure out why and it was not acne.It was more of rash.Then I came to know its Perioral Dermatitis.Though it was not severe,it was something I needed to take care of it.Hormonal imbalances(Hyperthyroidism in my case),Tooth paste and corticosteroids which I used for a quiet a while for acne were the main culprits in my case.Making some rectifications mentioned above helped tremendously treat the problem along with topical antibiotic application Metrogyl and I have been free from this problem from 2 years.Even after treatment,one needs to be vigilant as there are chances it could make come back so one needs follow the tips mentioned to above.If you do suffer from this condition consult your doctor at the earliest to get it treated.
Disclaimer:The medications mentioned above are prescription drugs which should strictly be taken under medical supervision.Please do not take these medications without consulting your doctor.