Do you ever wonder what a humble cup of green tea does? Green tea has been around for a long time and has been shown to minimize the risk of many health conditions including liver disease, heart disease, cancer, high cholesterol, stroke and skin diseases.
Green tea extract is naturally rich in antioxidants mainly due to the polyphenol antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG,
which help protect the body from free radicals naturally occurring particles in the body associated with accelerated ageing and an increased risk of major diseases.
Green tea also contains Vitamin B which helps in skin regeneration and Vitamin C helps with collagen production, a protein which enhances the firmness of skin and skin repair.
Exposure to pollution, smoking and excess sunlight increases the number of free radicals in the blood. Potent antioxidants found in green tea add strong weight to the belief that it not only promotes good health but also makes you look younger. Whether you take green tea internally or externally, it also can help you get rid of acne with other health benefits as well.
on green tea for acne shows that Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) present in it:
- reduces sebum production.
- reduces inflammation.
- inhibits the growth of acne-causing bacteria.
In a clinical trial, 8 weeks of green tea use showed significant improvement in acne. Both topical treatment and oral consumption are beneficial. While using green tea for acne treatment it is important to use appropriate skin care alongside. It is also said to balance hormonal activity.
Others:Weight Loss,Liver Disease,Heart Disease
The polyphenols present in Green Tea is considered anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic.
How to use green tea for acne?
1) Drinking 5 -10 cups per day is usually recommended for acne relief.
2)Boil green tea in fresh water for 20 minutes. Let it cool down or let it rest in the fridge for few minutes. Pour this in a clean and sterilized spray bottle. This can be your toner. You can also use it as a refreshing spray (do not store it for more than a week).
3)After you drink the tea, cut open the tea bag and mix with your face cleanser and wash your face.
4)You can mix it with rice flour/besan/honey/multani mitti and use it as a face mask.
5)Boil some water and pour it into a large vessel/steamer. Take a tea bag, cut it open, and empty the contents into the hot water. Take a towel and place it over your head. Then bend over the bowl, making sure your face isn’t very close to the water, but close enough to feel the steam. Stay under for only five minutes. This can be your steam facial.
6)Green Tea bags can be patted over the face for freshness and can also be used for dark circles by keeping cold tea bags under eye area for few minutes.
7)Green Tea dust can be used as face scrub
Reviews of green tea for acne can be found here.
Other Benefits of Green Tea:
- Weight Loss.
- Type 2 Diabetes.
- Decreases Cholesterol Levels.
- Lowers Blood Pressure.
- Anti-Ageing Benefits.
- Antibacterial and Antiviral.
- Recent studies have shown green tea helps in tooth decay,stroke,arthritis and restores brain cells of alzhiemer’s and parkinson’s disease.
- Drinking large amounts of green tea is not advisable for pregnant/lactating mothers and if one has liver disease or osteoporosis.
- Consult a doctor before taking large amounts if you are on any kind of medication like anti coagulants.
Green tea brands in India:
- Tetley Green Tea Pack-Rs 90/- For 125 Gm. (Tetley also sells Honey & Ginger, Mint & Lemon flavours)
- Lipton Green Tea –Rs 55/- For 10 Bags.
- Gaia Green Tea Bags -Rs 125/- For 25 Bags. (Gaia also sells Honey, Tulsi, Mint, Lemon flavours)
- Organic India Tulsi Green Tea –Rs 125-/ For 25bags.
- Soulflower Green Tea Skin Drink-Rs 225/- For 150gm.
- Tajmahal green tea in three variants – (Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Lemon) Rs 90/- for 25 bags.
Green tea in skin care products:
- Aloe Veda Aloe Vera Skin Nourishing Gel 125 gm – Rs 90
- Aroma Magic Green Tea Face Pack 50gm – Rs 200.
- Lotus Herbals Cleansing Facial Green Tea & Chamomile Soothing Masque 80gm – Rs 245.
- Lotus Herbals Fairgel Liquorice & Green Tea Fairness Gel 100gm – Rs 245.
- H2O Plus Marine Calm Restorative Eye Cream 15ml – Rs 1600.
- NYX Makeup Remover & Cleansing Oil in One – Rs 1000.
- Aroma Magic Under Eye Gel 20gm – Rs 115.
- Proactiv Green Tea Moisturizer 30 ml- Rs 799.
Green tea oral supplements:
You can find supplements at super markets and online shopping sites. They contain pure green tea extracts and Bioflavonoids(a vital class of antioxidants). Please consult your doctor regarding this.
Green Tea,its skin care and health care supplements are available in pharmacies and supermarkets.
It is also available online from sites like: