Today’s post I will discuss about one of the most common hormonal disorder affecting Women these days known as Polycystic Ovarian SyndromeDisease/(PCOS) or (PCOD).It is more of a silent killer and most women choose to ignore it.
- Irregular Period Cycle.
- No Periods.
- Irregular Ovulation.
- Painful Menstrual Cramps.
- Weight Gain/Obesity.
- Facial Hair Growth.
- Spike in Sugar/Insulin Levels.
- Skin Changes/Discolourations.
- Change in Voice.
Causes of PCOS/PCOD:
- Insulin Resistance.
- Hormonal Imbalance due to Testosterone,Luteinizing Hormone(LH) etc.
- Recent studies as shown exposure to Androgens(Male Hormones) in the womb/foetus can lead to PCOS.
- Blood Tests comprising Hormones,Insulin,Cholesterol profile.
- Pelvic Ultrasound Scans.
- The most common form of treatment is low dosage birth control/oral contraceptive pills (OCP’s).This corrects most of the issues like regulation of cycles,infertility,acne etc.
- Adapting Healthy Lifestyle and Losing weight corrects the hormonal issues.
- Anti-Male Hormones to reduce side-effects like hair growth,skin changes due to PCOS.
- Oral Supplements of Insulin like Glycomet etc(Diabetic Medication).
- If none of the above options are not effective in inducing Ovulation, Laproscopy Surgery is considered.
- High Blood Pressure.
- High Cholesterol.
- Abnormal Bleeding.
- Endometrial Cancer.
- Liver Inflammation.
- Sleep Apnea(Irregular Breathing pattern during sleep).
- Risk of heart diseases.
From Acne Point of View:
PCOS/PCOD is definitely one common trigger of Acne in Women. It is more of a warning sign.The increase in Androgens makes the skin Oily and Acne prone. Added to that it could also lead to Insulin Resistance,Thereby you have your two strong causes of acne. Acne treatments are not effective unless underlying hormonal issues like these are not treated,you will continue to get acne.So my advise do not neglect any of these signs and get yourself treated.